Your influence here at WAB extends beyond these walls to international education all over the world. You are pioneers. Everybody in this international community is looking at you. Thank you for being courageous and making that step forward for us all and for children all over the globe.
The Future of Learning
FLoW21 is a community-wide journey to transform the school experience to maximize learning for each individual student. Like no other school, WAB will know your child and customize the learning experience to best prepare him or her for a rapidly changing future.
WAB is constantly striving to improve the high quality education we provide.
After meeting with students, teachers and parents, we filtered down thousands of data points into 21 key objectives and understandings that will guide us into our school’s future of learning by 2021 and beyond. At the heart of FLoW21 is the belief that learners need to be at the center of their education to get the best learning gains. We want to teach them not only how to be life-long learners, but disciplined minds.
It is our goal to enable our exceptional teachers by breaking down some of the traditional structures they are working in and putting new ones in place. This flexible, innovative approach opens the classroom to the real world and will encourage and guide truly student-centered learning – all while affirming WAB’s founding principles and core values.
We are convinced as a team that FLoW21 can significantly enhance the quality of the implementation of the IB programs.
We have seen fantastic learning in your classrooms.
FLoW21 will explore:
- An even stronger culture of learning
- Co-constructed and personally relevant curriculum
- Self-directed learning
- Real-world, practical engagement
- Inquiry-driven learning
- Individualized schedules and time
- Flexible, diverse, variable spaces and learner groups
- Individualized instruction and teaching
- Collegial coaching and mentoring
- Team teaching
- Adaptive support network for all learners
We believe the most significant learning gains are achieved when:
- Learners are engaged in creative thinking and actions built on strong foundations of skills, knowledge, and understanding
- Learners and teachers are afforded time and space to develop and maintain personally relevant and meaningful relationships
- Learners and teachers are engaged in important and purposeful work that inspires, connects, challenges and is intended to make a difference
- Learners take responsibility for and ownership of their learning
- Teachers are both content experts and master educators
As a parent I feel I’ve made the right choice to have my daughter grow up in a community of learning that consciously and constantly improves itself.
Kathy Ferrer, WAB Parent
Alinnah Qiao, WAB Student
Every decision we make in FLoW21 is based on research, case studies from other schools, and best practices for learning in the 21st century.
Phil Cowell, WAB Teacher