What are the targets that FLoW21 aims to achieve?
1. WAB’s culture is learning-focused
WAB is a community of deliberate learners. We understand how people learn. Learn more.
2. WAB develops self-directed learners
We teach students how to learn for themselves. At WAB, learners take responsibility to set goals, access resources and choose strategies for learning. Learn more.
3. Concept-based curriculum
Learning that starts with ‘big ideas’ rather than subject specific-content. Learn more.
4. Inquiry-driven learning
Learning is facilitated by curiosity it starts by posing questions, problems or scenarios—rather than simply presenting established facts. Learn more.
5. Academic and intellectual thinking
Learners have access to the facts, concepts and academic skills needed to fully engage with ideas (academic thinking). Learning at WAB provokes creative, critical thinking about real-world issues, ethics, empathy, and making a difference (intellectual thinking). Learn more.
6. All learners are prepared for volatility, uncertainty, complexity, ambiguity (VUCA)
Today’s world is digitized, automated, globalized, and fully-connected. To be successful in this rapidly changing world, we must be capable of reflection, adaptation, and reinvention. Learn more.
7. Vertically phased, essential competencies
WAB’s essential curriculum identifies the skills, knowledge and understandings we expect our students to learn – these are the “competencies”. “Vertically phased” means there is a sequential development of competencies. Learn more.
8. Competence-based progression
Students progress to the next phase of learning when they are ready. Learn more.
9. Transdisciplinary, interdisciplinary, and multidisciplinary learning
Making connections across and within disciplines strengthens learning. Learn more.
10. Co-constructed & personally relevant curriculum
Learners work with mentors and experts to construct their own learning pathways through, and beyond, WAB’s essential curriculum. Learning that springs from personal interest and passion
increases engagement and motivation. Learn more.
11. Real-world, connected, practical learning
Learning engages individuals in collaborative experiences with authentic audiences beyond the classroom. Learn more.
12. Individualized schedules / timetables
Learning drives the schedule, rather than the schedule driving the learning. A learner’s time is necessarily flexible and customizable to accommodate the diversity of learning needs and experiences at WAB. Learn more.
13. Individualized instruction and teaching
The needs and understandings of individual learners determine approaches to teaching and instruction for that learner. Learn more.
14. Vertically and horizontally flexible & variable learner groups
Student groups are formed and re-formed around learning needs, interests, opportunities and passions, rather than age. Learn more.
15. Flexible, diverse & variable spaces
Spaces are purposefully designed or selected for learning. Spaces can be both physical, virtual or a blend of the two. Learn more.
16. Continuous personalized feedback and reporting
Timely, targeted, and focused feedback is used to inform the learner’s next steps. Reporting is a continuous process of making information available, rather than the production of a static report card. Learn more.
17. Collaborative teacher planning
Teachers always work in teams, to develop curriculum, design learning experiences, and moderate assessments. Learn more.
18. Collegial coaching and mentoring
Coaching and mentoring are relationships that help us better understand our own practices and drive our continual professional learning. Learn more.
19. Team teaching
Student learning experiences are best when multiple people play a part in the teaching. Students work with a range of teachers to make full use of faculty expertise and experience. Learn more.
20. Adaptive support network for all learners
The development of the whole child means every learner receives personalized and ongoing support for academic, social and emotional wellbeing. Learn more.
21. All community members will become ethical and passionate stewards of our community and planet. Learn more.